Friday, September 28, 2012


Here are some pictures of my friends as we eat dinner off Sudder Street at Blue Sky.  It is worth noting that while we have been here I have seen no black folks, other than the two men in my group and the only white folks I have scene all seem to be working at Missionaries of Charity.  There is hardly ANY diversity of color here in Calcutta.  And we stick out like a sore thumb.  Tonight after leaving dinner we were walking back to our rooms at the Baptist Mission House and I forgot to pull up my scarf around my hair (which shouldn't be a big deal because lots of women do not wear them here and no one else from my group has been wearing them the way I have).  As we walked down a road a young man jumped up from a group and hollered at us to wait.  He was fumbling with his cell phone pointing at me because he wanted to take a picture.  He had not seen someone with longish blond hair before.  It has been yet again another interesting learning experience to be the minority.  Our group is looked at WHEREVER we go because we stick out.  We are almost all taller and fairer or darker than anyone else on the street.  So anyway, consequently the scarf immediately went back in me head :) Less is more in India when it comes to attention!


No comments:

Post a Comment